File under “Things that make minx happy”:
Guess who called me today? The curator of the polyamory collection at the Kinsey Institute.
How cool is it that I can say that?
And the funny thing is that I ended up geeking out about podcasting/Skype, and I’m going to end up contacting her to show her how to use Skype to record oral histories.
Thanks to all you who nominated PW for the Podcast Awards. We made it into the running in the Mature category, along with Dawn and Drew, Keith & the Girl, Soccer Girl and Red Bar Radio.
Voting begins this Friday, so be prepared for a lot of PW vote-pimping–all those other shows have literally 100 times the listenership as little ole’ PW, so we need lots of community participation to get noticed!
The new Polyamory Weekly #67 is up! Direct download is here.
Intro, under-18 warning and re-direction to www.scarleteen.com. minx gripes about LibSyn woes.
The Third Redwood Polyflock event is September 15-17, 2006 and sounds like fun!; have you registered yet for Midwest Alternative Polyamory Con, September 7-10, 2006 in southwest Wisconsin? Register now and come say hi to the minx!; if you’re going to the Podcast Expo September 29-30 in Ontario, California, let me know, and we’ll do a PW Meetup Dinner
6:00 Topic: Is polyamory “open”?
Is the new Merriam-Webster definition of polyamory accurate? Songwind commented that “open” means “aboveboard” or “legitimate,” not sexually open; agrees with Songwind in an audio comment; this Metro Daily News article denigrates polyamory as meaning the same as “a worthless dog or two-timing cheater”; this article from the Charleston News takes a similar tack by joking that polyamory is a synonym for “loose, bimbo, womanizer, cad, playing the field, etc.”
11:05 Listener mail
Helen wrote in to ask about what constitutes frubble
14:00 Topic: Emotional Intimacy
Frank wrote in about how he has dealt with having emotional intimacy with a woman but having to restrain any sexual intimacy until such time as her husband becomes more comfortable.
18:35 Poly in the Media
Assisi sent in Anita Wagner’s post from the poly New York list with comments on the growing trend of polyamory among GLBT’s; the full article from a Canadian source is here and is all about flaunting your lifestyle to fight homo- (and poly-)phobia; 20:50 Hollywood actress Maria Bello was quoted as saying “The whole idea of monogamy is nonsensical to me. I suppose I understand the idea of a life-long helpmate and friend. But when you have to stay sexually monogamous to this one person, I think it’s usually a big fat lie. Read the statistics. Seventy percent of people are having affairs.”
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? Check out PolyWeekly at polyweekly.libsyn.com. Thanks for listening!
If you like the intro music, check out Pacemaker Jane, a cool band out of Ohio.
The new Polyamory Weekly #66 is up! Direct download is here.
Intro, under-18 warning and re-direction to www.scarleteen.com.
- Please nominate PW for the Podcast Awards to get out the word about polyamory!
- PW has joined the libsyn podcasting community for podcasters and podcast listeners–why not friend PW there?
- Polyamory is now officially a word in the Merriam-Webster dictionary! Check out the article announcing it here
- Thanks to the listener who made a small donation to cover bandwidth costs this month
- Loving More needs your help! Robyn Trask’s goal is to raise $20,000, so donate via PayPal on their site or send whatever you can to Loving More, PO Box 4358, Boulder, CO 80020.
- Leslie of the new talk show, Dr. Keith Ablow show is looking for poly people willing to come on the show and share their lifestlye. Contact her at email@example.com if you’re interested, but be sure to contact Susan at the NCSF for advice on talking to the media first.
9:45 Listener mail
Micky from Denmark sends in an audio comment about the value of doing the dishes; 12:30 Veronica in Hawaii warns in an audio comment about the dangers of making only the genetic argument for being gay/poly; 16:30 Jan in Germany sends in an audio comment about the need for a poly movement to fight “mononormativity”; check out the Swiss poly site if you’re in the area; 22:50 Jan comments in an email about how polyamory can be more threatening to society than homosexuality because polys are seen as taking partners away from monogamists
26:45 Topic: Emotional intimacy
Can you have an emotional connection without a sexual one? Or vice versa? What do you think?
27:40 Topic: Who Has Affairs and Why?
Based on this Dear Peggy column, this article deals with why people have affairs, who has affairs, how prevalent are affairs, is monogamy natural, and can affairs be prevented.
32:25 Poly in the Media
- New York Press article on the new monogamy is more about the New York swinger lifestyle and erotic parties but interesting proposes a swinging lifestyle as a way for single women to date more safely
- Impressively, Dr. Joyce Brothers gives some tolerant advice on understanding a bisexual spouse
- 36:15 The New Scientist wrote an article on poly that was reviewed in the Poly in the Media blog
- From the Polyamorous Percolations site, there was an article in the British paper The Observer that was a bit more skeptical towards poly but treated the subjects respectfully
- Floor had sent in two Dutch articles, one from AM on the new monogamy and the other in Opzij that gives a good view about polyamory
- 40:10 Canada’s Calgary Sun [link to come] reported that polygamous unions are allowed on a limited status
- [link to come] Amy Gahran sent in this article on why sex-positive groups don’t seem to work together
- [link to come]This article from the Village Voice is about the lack of acceptance of poly within the gay community
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? Thanks for listening!
44:10 Outro poly song: Gaia Consort’s “Three”
Check out Gaia Consort, who kindly gave permission to play their poly-friendly song, Three as our outro today.
If you like the intro music, check out Pacemaker Jane, a cool band out of Ohio.
Please join me for the first Polyamory Weekly Skypecast! Click here on Monday, July 31st, at 6:00 p.m. CST.
Here’s our topic: How did you decide on your poly living situation? When and how did you decide to move in together–or not? More importantly, WHO DOES THE DISHES?? What new rules have you instituted as living conditions changed? Share what you’ve learned or just listen for ideas!
So please join me so that I won’t be talking to myself!
OK, got the message last night that the guys at LibSyn fixed the accounting/archiving error that was messing up my account.
But here’s the best part. They refunded this month’s fee, and Dave attached a message saying:
Sorry for sucking. This is a refund for this month.
ROFL! OK, I knew I liked these guys for a reason! “Sorry for sucking”! Isn’t that so much better than “We apologize for the inconvenience”??
Polyamory Weekly #67 is available for download here.
This week’s show: Midwest Alternative Poly Con; Podcast Expo; frubble; emotional intimacy polyamory in the lexicon.
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. Show notes will be up at polyweekly.livejournal.com. Thanks for listening!
My LibSyn page is now totally blank. And I’ve sent four emails requesting support over the last five days, all with no response.
If they canceled my account for some reason, wouldn’t they tell me? Or answer a request for information? They’re not usually speedy since they have day jobs, but I’ve rarely waited more than a day for a response to a support request. Since the account has been nonfunctional for the past six days, I’m pretty peeved.
Love those guys, but they’re not providing the service I pay for and not responding to requests for support.
I’m aware that, once again, PW #66 didn’t load properly. I contacted LibSyn on Wednesday and thought they fixed the issue, but it seems that they still believe that I’m over my 250-meg limit, even though it’s clear that I’ve only loaded one 55-meg file this month.
I’ve emailed them three times since Thursday; still awaiting response. I’ll still do PW #67 on time this week (Tuesday), but probably a shorter show, while we wait for LibSyn to fix their accounting errors.
Both shows will be loaded as soon as LibSyn addresses and corrects the problem.