Intro, under-18 warning and re-direction to www.scarleteen.com.
- Please nominate PW for the Podcast Awards to get out the word about polyamory!
- PW has joined the libsyn podcasting community for podcasters and podcast listeners–why not friend PW there?
- Polyamory is now officially a word in the Merriam-Webster dictionary! Check out the article announcing it here
- Thanks to the listener who made a small donation to cover bandwidth costs this month
- Loving More needs your help! Robyn Trask’s goal is to raise $20,000, so donate via PayPal on their site or send whatever you can to Loving More, PO Box 4358, Boulder, CO 80020.
- Leslie of the new talk show, Dr. Keith Ablow show is looking for poly people willing to come on the show and share their lifestlye. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested, but be sure to contact Susan at the NCSF for advice on talking to the media first.
9:45 Listener mail
Micky from Denmark sends in an audio comment about the value of doing the dishes; 12:30 Veronica in Hawaii warns in an audio comment about the dangers of making only the genetic argument for being gay/poly; 16:30 Jan in Germany sends in an audio comment about the need for a poly movement to fight “mononormativity”; check out the Swiss poly site if you’re in the area; 22:50 Jan comments in an email about how polyamory can be more threatening to society than homosexuality because polys are seen as taking partners away from monogamists
26:45 Topic: Emotional intimacy
Can you have an emotional connection without a sexual one? Or vice versa? What do you think?
27:40 Topic: Who Has Affairs and Why?
Based on this Dear Peggy column, this article deals with why people have affairs, who has affairs, how prevalent are affairs, is monogamy natural, and can affairs be prevented.
32:25 Poly in the Media
- New York Press article on the new monogamy is more about the New York swinger lifestyle and erotic parties but interesting proposes a swinging lifestyle as a way for single women to date more safely
- Impressively, Dr. Joyce Brothers gives some tolerant advice on understanding a bisexual spouse
- 36:15 The New Scientist wrote an article on poly that was reviewed in the Poly in the Media blog
- From the Polyamorous Percolations site, there was an article in the British paper The Observer that was a bit more skeptical towards poly but treated the subjects respectfully
- Floor had sent in two Dutch articles, one from AM on the new monogamy and the other in Opzij that gives a good view about polyamory
- 40:10 Canada’s Calgary Sun [link to come] reported that polygamous unions are allowed on a limited status
- [link to come] Amy Gahran sent in this article on why sex-positive groups don’t seem to work together
- [link to come]This article from the Village Voice is about the lack of acceptance of poly within the gay community
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email me at email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? Thanks for listening!
44:10 Outro poly song: Gaia Consort’s “Three”
Check out Gaia Consort, who kindly gave permission to play their poly-friendly song, Three as our outro today.
If you like the intro music, check out Pacemaker Jane, a cool band out of Ohio.