Under-18 warning and redirection to Scarleteen
1:30 News and host chat
- Wanna go to Burning Man? We are raffling off a ticket in July as a fundraiser to send Minx to CatalystCon! For every $10 donation here, you’ll get one raffle entry. On July 31 (tomorrow!) we’ll draw and announce the winner of the ticket to Burning Man 2012! Void where prohibited.
- LustyGuy will be giving a talk on Punching, Slapping and Kicking, Oh My! at Paradise, August 11.
5:00 Topic: Showtime’s new reality show on polyamory
Showtime has a new reality show called Polyamory: Married and Dating. It follows a triad and a quad and the conversations, conflicts and undercover action they experience. But is it any good?
- Alan’s initial comments on the first episode on the Poly in the Media blog
- Brian Ballard, host of the Masocast podcast and member of a triad, comments on episode one
- Deborah Anapol comments on the show in her Psychology Today column
- Jessica Karels reviews episode one on the Modern Poly blog
- Another blogger posts a snarky review
- Mainstream blogger at Gawker gives the show a glowing review
What do we think? LustyGuy admires the craft and believes it fits the genre and audience expectations for Showtime After Dark perfectly. Minx (not a fan of reality TV in general) finds the characters accessible, far more so than anyone portrayed in Big Love or Sister Wives. While many of the characters annoy her personally and don’t impress her with their low level of emotional intelligence, the show is a far more accurate portrayal of polyamory than anything we’ve seen in the mainstream so far, and many of the characters do model good communication skills and emotionally intelligent behavior.
And special thanks to Scott Campbell for making it possible for us to view the episodes!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!