How do you address jealousy?
4:30 Topic: how do you deal with jealousy?
Listeners brought up this question on Twitter, and we haven’t talked about jealousy in a while. So we threw it out to YOU, the listeners, on Facebook, Twitter and Google+, and your advice was GREAT:
- If the solution to kids being jealous isn’t “only have one kid,” we should expect the same of adults as well
- Tristan Taormino’s Opening Up has a great chapter on jealousy
- Admit the feelings to yourself
- Narrow down what you are feeling
- Acknowledge your feelings; reflect; avoid shaming; seek comfort
- Say it aloud; talk to someone about it
- Understand that jealousy often involves the fear of loss and that adding a new partner doesn’t mean you get less
- Understand that you can choose how you react to your emotions
You guys covered it very well! Minx’s tips:
- Don’t panic. Being jealous doesn’t make you a bad person.
- Listen to what your body/emotions are trying to tell you with the jealousy.
- Fill in these blanks: “I’m afraid that if my partner/metamour does ___, it means ___.”
- Share your thoughts/feelings with your partner(s) in a safe space.
- Take care of yourself.
- Ask for support.
- Pat yourself on the back!
22:25 Feedback: Episode 357
- Vir sent in this link on “average” and “normal” sex regarding episode 357’s inflammatory use of the word “normal” with regards to sex
- Anonymous caller points out that when people of privilege are asked to look at their privilege, they can feel targeted and defensive
- Morpheous comments on the mentions of couple privilege of late, saying ” It’s not a bad thing to have privilege, people who have just need to realize it limits their perspective and to give a voice to people without that privilege, allowing them to speak up.”
27:00 Thank you
Thanks to David for his generous $69.69 donation this week!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 802-505-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? 🙂 Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!