How to avoid the classic mistakes couples make when trying nonmonogamy
1:00 Host chat
Nothing to see here; move along!
2:00 Interview: Four mistakes couples make when opening up with Marcia Baczynski
Thanks to Marcia for sharing with us these four tips! Where to find Marcia:
- Successful Nonmonogamy Marcia’s free ebook on the four mistakes couples make when opening up is on this site!
- Good girl recovery
- Last time Marcia was on the podcast was Episode 337, Successful Nonmonogamy
- She’ll soon be launching a comprehensive online course on how to try nonmonogamy—stay tuned!
And here we go! The classic mistakes:
- Not knowing what you want. Poly may mean different things to different folks. Take the time to talk about what you want and direct the picture in your head; this also means you develop terminology for future discussions. It’s also useful to take stock of your current relationship.
- Going too fast. Many couples move way too fast, and a few move too slowly. Find your comfortable pace. This isn’t about restrictions; it’s about taking the time to enjoy experience, as with any romance. Enjoy the journey! Take the time to find your comfort zone rather than diving in headfirst.
- Avoiding jealousy. Don’t ignore the truth of negative emotions because you think it makes you a bad poly person. That only leads to uncomfortable situations. No one is too “good” to be jealous. Just admit and deal with your jealousy.
- Trying to be the perfect poly person. Feeling that you have to be perfect either for your partner or to prove that poly was a good choice for you are both self-destructive beliefs to hold. Nothing beats admitting your emotions. Practice some tough love on yourself! No one was perfect at poly the first (or even the last) time they tried it. Be willing to be vulnerable.
35:20 Wrap up
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the listener comment line at 802-505-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? 🙂 Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!