528: Chris Smith on Poly and the Black American
PhD student Chris Smith discusses his latest academic paper on polyamory and the Black American
0:00 Introduction and host chat
Under 18? Stop listening now and visit http://www.scarleteen.com
1:30 Poly in the News
A Yoplait ad campaign builds on the idea of polyamory
4:20 Interview: Chris Smith
Chris Smith is a PhD student at Howard University studying higher education and a relationship researcher focused on non-monogamy within the Black demographic.
- People raise sex and put it on a pedestal. And that’s OK, but raise communication and flexibility to that same level.
- Polyamory as a possible method of strengthening Black economic power
- Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present
- Blacks are already ostracized; it can be difficult to add polyamory to the mix. As a Black male, it’s already hard to fight the aggressive and overly sexualized stereotypes; polyamory can appear to reinforce those
- Link for the Black and poly survey Let’s get to 3,000!
- Black polyamorous anthology description and consent forms to participate email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find Chris Smith on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter as MrTenability
35:50 How to make this podcast better
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com and attach an audio comment or call the listener comment line at 802-505-POLY. Friend us on Twitter or Facebook, leave a comment here. Check out Poly Weekly podcasts at polyweekly.libsyn.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review! Our intro and outro music is courtesy of Pacemaker Jane, “Good Suspicions.”