Everything you need to know about address disabilities in a partner with expert Shanna Katz
1:00 Announcements and Host Chat
10:50 Interview: Poly and disabilities
What you need to know about people with disabilities:
- Over 20% of the US population has some type of disability, some of which might not be readily visible
- Ask before you help/ask how you can help rather than just helping
- Base your level of disclosure about your disability on level of the relationship
- Don’t offer unsolicited health advice about a condition you don’t have or assume that your experience with a similar condition applies
- Understand and apply spoon theory
- If you’re able-bodied, ask “is there anything I need to know about your help to be a better partner to you?”
- Understand that the person with disabilities might not be able to express what he/she needs right away. If that’s the case, just offer to be there when the person needs something and let him/her initiate the request.
- Don’t try to fix the person’s disability
41:30 Wrap Up
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 802-505-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? 🙂 Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!