A biased review of psychologist John Gottman’s research on relationships
1:00 Announcements and Host Chat
- Remember to call 802-505-POLY and tell how you used communication in a tough situation for your chance to win a FREE SIGNED copy of More Than Two!
- Please take our new listener survey so we can find out who you are and what you want!
- OKCupid will soon offer expanded gender and sexual orientation options – with leaked screen shots
- 8 Things I Wish I’d Known About Polyamory is available as an ebook and paperback
- If you want LustyGuy and me to speak or teach in 2015, email me NOW!
9:40 Topic: The world according to John Gottman
John Gottman is a professor of psychology famous for his work on evaluating marital stability through direct observational data points.
- Famous for being able to predict whether a couple will stay together (which he refutes, but he can compare data and give odds of success). For example, if more than 20% of your interactions with your partner are negative, it’s likely that something needs to be addressed in order to increase relationship longevity
- Microexpressions Also famously researched microexpressions
- Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work
- Accessible research Great marketer and beneficial for taking his research and making the data accessible to the public
- Challenge: his data isn’t replicable outside his experiments
- Making bids for connection Recent Business Week article on couples making and accepting bids for connection being a top trait of successful relationships
- Anger research Master versus disaster model, in which masters use anger to demo emotional importance rather than using it to express contempt. He posits that even healthy couples fight and get angry and that anger is functional in marriage.
- But be aware that Gottman’s work focuses on monogamy and heterosexual couples only and is not a proponent of polyamory.
30:00 Happy Poly Moment
Clare from London writes in to share her discovery of polyamory, her self-identify as poly and her hopes of applying it to her new relationship.
Thanks to Taylor and Igor for their donations and welcome Doug as the newest Poly Weekly Playmate!
36:00 Wrap Up
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 802-505-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? 🙂 Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!