Under 18? Stop listening now and visit http://www.scarleteen.com
1:00 Host chat
- We have new monthly subscriber donation options! Coffee buddies at $1.99/month, Friend with benefits at $4.99/month and Anchor at $9.99/month. Just choose a PW Playmate option to the right of this entry and hit the big yellow Subscribe button. >>>>>>>
- Marvin is our first Anchor subscriber. W00t!
- We’ve created a Poly Weekly Google+ page. Add us to your Circles for poly, geek and kinky updates.
- Thanks to GaggleAmp promoters for reTweeting us last week!
- Enough promotion! Geeks, beware: Cheezburger has launched a geek version of the site, Set Phasers to LOL (think LOLcats but with Star Trek) and more!
8:00 Topic: What is the difference between an open relationship and polyamory?
Thanks to listener Donner (?) for calling this one in. Both open relationships and polyamory are ways of practicing non-mongamy. The main difference is that an “open relationship” tends to assume a couple at the base, whereas “polyamorous” can describe both a lifestyle and a personal philosophy or orientation. I.e., I’m single and poly, but I couldn’t be single and in an open relationship. Additionally, polyamory tends to have “multiple long-term, committed relationships with the full knowledge and consent of all parties involved,” while open relationships are more loosely defined.
Also, while we’re at it, let’s define polygamy, polygyny, polyandry and polyfidelity! Franklin Veaux has a well-researched glossary of terms if you are ever in doubt.
17:00 Happy Poly Moment
Mark shares a happy poly moment at the birth of his child.
- Scott comments on changing the negative victim-minded behavior patterns mentioned in episode 293 and suggests theater and other subcultures for the football-loving poly guy
- Kevin says thanks and asks about a Poly Weekly meetup at Burning Man in 2012 (yes if we can!)
- Josh shares a lovely story of patience and communication and how it lead to a wonderful exploration of spanking and polyamory
Thanks to Marvin and Sarah, our first PW Anchor monthly subscribers! We hope we can do you proud! And to Eric for his donation.
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and attach an audio comment or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. Friend us on Twitter or Facebook or leave a comment here. Check out PolyWeekly podcasts at polyweekly.libsyn.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review! Want Poly Weekly for your very own? Get the Best of Poly Weekly collection from PodDisc.com Our intro and outro music is courtesy of Pacemaker Jane, “Good Suspicions.”