1:00 Announcements and host chat
- Heading out to hit the Portland strip clubs for my birthday; will report back next week!
2:00 Topic: How being kinky prepared me to be poly
- Frank and ongoing discussions about sex (before it’s a problem)
- The practice of aftercare: dealing with unexpected, strong emotional reactions while staying calm and staying until the partner is okay
- “Equal” isn’t necessarily fair. In kink, it’s assumed that everyone will have different tastes, kinks and limits, and reciprocity isn’t assumed or necessary.
27:00 Feedback: Episode 344 Consent Is Sexy
- Week BiWeek felt the casual tone LustyGuy and I took for the Consent Is Sexy episode was inappropriate to the seriousness of the topic.
- Edward, a self-named ” 55-yo, cigar smoking, martini-drinking, Republican-voting, $5,000 suit wearing Wall Streeter and military consultant,” writes in to say that sleep sex is never appropriate without consent and also that hearing a verbal affirmation that a woman wants him is indeed sexy
- Vir writes in to say that Alyssa’s original article was indeed a rape apology: “I think that what she did in her article was make excuses for rape. She did call him a rapist and she did convince him that he was a rapist. But because he was a friend, she didn’t want it to be all his fault and so she tried to blame the wider community for not training men better not to rape. That right there is aiding and abetting ‘rape culture’ if not, strictly, engaging in ‘rape apology.'”
- Amos is a new listener who finds that the advice on the podcast applies to those outside poly as well.
40:00 Wrap up
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com or call the listener comment line at 802-505-POLY (our new number!). And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? 🙂 Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!