How does one wrangle being polyamorous and parenting at the same time? Sierra Black tells us!
Download the mp3 directly
Under-18 warning and redirection to Scarleteen
1:00 News and host chat
12:00 Topic: Poly families with Sierra Black
Sierra Black’s Salon article on her open marriage and the getting back together
a.blogspot.com/2012/04/on-abcs-2020-polyfamily-network-shows.html”>20/20 episode on polyamory and parenting.
Parenting questions she is asked:
- How do you find the time to be poly with a 4-year-old, a 7-year-old and an 18-year-old? Answer: this isn’t a one-way street; everyone pitches in so others can have date time.
- What do you tell the kids? Answer: Be open about who everyone is with age-appropriate information.
- What do you do when relationships end? Answer: deal with them just as you would with step-parents and keep them in the kids’ lives whenever possible.
- What advice do you have about coming out to older kids? Answer: we’re lucky because everyone in the community is open and poly and the kids have a support network.
- How are you out to the other adults in your kids’ life? School administrators, grandparents, doctors? Answer: anything you radiate normal, healthy vibes about, people will take in stride. Be comfortable, confident and open, and it’s easy to be out.
Conclusion: kids are very What’s In It for Me? They want to know that they are loved and that mommy, daddy and everyone else loves and cares about them, too.
Sierra blogs at ChildWild.com and writes for Babble.
Thanks to Mike for the $69 donation!
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the listener comment line at 206-202-POLY. And hey, why not attach an audio comment to that email? Check out PolyWeekly at Blubrry.com. Share this with a friend or write an iTunes review!